The Southwood Garden at St James Piccadilly is a hidden oasis of calm and tranquillity, away from the frenetic activity of Piccadilly. The garden is a vital green feature of this historic Wren church and much loved by those who frequent it.
The garden is moments from Piccadilly Circus and Green Park tube stations. There is a small professional kitchen on-site, with space for more complex equipment. If there is inclement weather guests can escape into the beautiful Wren Church.
For over 200 years, this plot of land was used as a burial ground for the parish. After the war of 1939–45 Viscount Southwood provided money for the ‘green’ churchyard to be made into a garden of remembrance ‘to commemorate the courage and fortitude of the people of London’. The garden was opened in 1946 by Queen Mary.
Today this Green Flag award-winning space is expertly tended by our gardener Catherine, and filled with plants to bring interest throughout the seasons.
There is maximum capacity of 100 people in a total space of 400ft2 (37m2). Access to the garden is through the main entrance gates from Piccadilly. An additional ‘private’ entrance from Jermyn Street can be arranged on request. Unfortunately, there is currently no step free access to the garden area.
For more information, please contact our Parish Administrator on 020 7734 4511 or by email below.
Jamie Oliver filming (2017)
Emily Young Exhibition (2017)