Background Shape

St James’s garden restoration in 1946

Gardens restored after the bombing in October 1941

After the war of 1939–45 Viscount Southwood provided money for the ‘green’ churchyard to be made into a garden of remembrance ‘to commemorate the courage and fortitude of the people of London’. The garden was opened in 1946 by Queen Mary, and contains a memorial, designed by Alfred F Hardiman, to Viscount Southwood (1873–1946) and his wife (1865– 1951); there is a statue of ‘Peace’, also designed by Hardiman, standing in the garden.