Men of the parish lost in the First World War
As part of the commemorations in 2014 of the centenary of the outbreak of WW1 Chris Davies of our Verger team researched the names on the First World War Memorial, which is by the font at the back of the church.
Listed here are the names of the men of the Parish of St James Piccadilly who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-18
The memorial which can be found on the west wall of the church, in the south-west corner, contains the names of 31 soldiers of which 17 were officers and 14 were N.C.O’s or other ranks. The list also includes 5 members of the nobility.
Many of the names included won medals or citations for their actions. Here is a list of the medals mentioned:
THE MEN OF ST JAMES'S
After posting these names we were contacted by the Museum Development Manager at the Royal Welsh Fusiliers Museum at Caernarfon Castle. She was curious as to whether we had any archival pictures or information concerning the men on our first world war memorial, particularly Captain E.W. Coster of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Unfortunately we didn't. Later a colleague of hers sent us this photograph. It shows a group of four officers from the Royal Welsh Fusiliers on an evening out in Amiens, Northern France in 1916.
Back row, left, Lt Ralph Greaves, an accomplished piano player who lost an arm in the war; Middle, Captain Ernest William Coster MC one of the men named on our memorial; Right, War poet and critic of the war Siegfried Sassoon. Front Holding the 'goat' is Lt Thomas Conning (killed in action)